Saturday, May 21, 2016

Novel Study for Book Clubs

This year in the fourth grade we read the following novels:

  • Frindle
  • Island of the Blue Dolphins
  • Hatchet
  • By the Great Horn Spoon
In previous years we also have read From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  Each time the students read a novel I have to make sure to vary my teaching materials/assessment to avoid redundancy and boredom.  I decided to create this novel study for use with ANY NOVEL to keep students focused on the text.  This was especially important towards the end of the year when I let students work collaboratively in book clubs.  I divided the novels we were reading into sections, and had them complete a booklet per section.  

My students seem to enjoy booklets/trifolds/foldables more than just regular worksheets or even worse, lined paper.  The booklet is based on the 4th grade CCSS, but would easily work for 3-6.  In addition to focusing on the CCSS, I ask a lot of higher order thinking questions perfect for differentiating the instruction to meet the needs of all learners.  





There are different versions included, with some editable text options.  I added an editable page where you can write in your text specific questions.  Also, even better, I included a RUBRIC.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment